For a more comprehensive Spanish language immersion, La Mariposa offers the option of living with a family closely
associated with and well known to La Mariposa. Homestays are sanitary, but basic. All homestays are approved by Mariposa
staff, who are also available to provide support to students and families who may encounter difficulties or problems.
- Excellent opportunity to practice Spanish: the patience and acceptance of Nicaraguan people is extensive
and your family would love to spend time talking with you -- they are a great resource for local knowledge
- Get to know the local community and establish personal relationships
- Family provides home-cooked traditional Nicaraguan style meals for you
- Bathroom facilities usually include a latrine and a bucket for bathing (both great ways to conserve water!);
these areas are sanitary and cleaned frequently. If you prefer to have a more conventional shower, students in homestays
are welcome to use our facility in the Mariposa grounds.
- The outdoor shower (well not entirely out of doors - there are walls made of volcanic rock and bamboo, kind of japanese style, and a roof) NOW HAS SOLAR HEATED hot water.
- Rooms are typically equipped with a single bed and a small table. The homestay provides some means of securing valuables under lock.
- Close proximity to the hotel